Thursday, April 30, 2009

A WRITER AT HOME: BILLY KIRSCH



Where do you work best at home?

I have a dedicated office-studio space. It's very important for me to have an "office" to go to. It's quiet so if I want to play the piano early on a weekend morning or late at night, no one will hear me. It's a great space for thinking and sitting quietly too.



What time of day would we find you there?

I like to be in my office by 9 am before distractions of the day pull me away from creative thought. I'll usually take a break mid-afternoon, maybe pick up the kids at school or run some errands. Then I like to go back into my office for about an hour or so at the end of the day.

What is your favorite comfort food while you work?

Hmm, chocolate, chocolate, chocolate...



How does home feed into your work?

My family life has always been a great catalyst for my need to make music, whether as a means of expressing teenage angst or getting inspiration from time spent with my own kids. When my son was in grade school he did a project on insects. We were out together observing one day and I got a title idea for a song, Cocoon. Steve Wariner and I wrote the song and Steve recorded it. He changed the title to Steal Another Day. But to me it will always be an insect song!

Billy Kirsch's talents as a performer and songwriter have earned him a respected place among contemporary songwriters. His body of work includes award winning songs and career songs for the artists who have recorded them. Holes In The Floor Of Heaven recorded by Steve Wariner, won a Country Music Association song of the year award, was nominated for a Grammy award and was a number one hit. The list of artists who have recorded Billy's songs include Tim McGraw, Rodney Atkins, Kenny Rogers, Alabama, Englebert Humperdink, Lee Greenwood, Collin Raye, Steve Wariner and Wynonna to name just a few.

Visit Billy's Website.




Did you catch Rebecca Kai Dotlich's AT HOME profile?

No comments:

Post a Comment