Thursday, August 7, 2008

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, COLEEN SALLEY



Word traveled down to me this morning that my dear friend, Coleen Salley, isn't doing so well. If you ever meet Coleen, you will not forget her. I met Coleen back in 1998 when my first book came out. She was having a party(as she often does) in her French Quarter apartment for the Mid-South Booksellers Conference attendees. Someone had sent her a copy of My Louisiana Sky.

When we were introduced, she said, "Oh, honey, I just love that little girl."

We've been friends ever since.

Coleen is an extraordinary storyteller and children's author. One time when I was staying with her, she showed me another author's book that she was excited about. I don't recall the title, but it was about animal poo. We sat in her living room as she read the story to me with a plastic pile of poo on her head.

Open one of Coleen's books, and you will get to know a special part of her, too.

Happy birthday, Coleen. We love you!

If you would like to send Coleen a card, here's the address:

St James Retirement
ATTN Coleen Salley
HCE 503
333 Lee Dr.
Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70808

No comments:

Post a Comment