Tuesday, October 9, 2007

RANCH RETREAT REPORT

What happens when five writers,retreating at a ranch without Internet service, escape to town? Why they check their email of course.

Before heading to the coffee shop to get online, we satisfied Jeanette's barbecue craving at Brisket and Brew. The friendly owner came over to our table and chatted with us, asking where we were from.

"Are you sisters or friends?" she asked.

"Sisters," we told her.

As she walked away, she said, "Have a good time shopping."

"Why is that people assume that a group of women meeting out of town are always shopping?" asked Kathi.

An hour later we walked into the coffee shop with our black laptop cases, attracting curious stares from a group of women eating lunch together. They are probably going shopping, I thought.

When I got online, I went directly to my email account, only to be bombarded by email announcements from Jo Malone cologne, Neiman Marcus, and Office Max. These are accounts I frequent. I quickly hovered over my screen and pushed the delete button. I wonder if Neimans is having a sale?

No comments:

Post a Comment