Sunday, October 14, 2007

GOODBYE WISCONSIN/HELLO TEXAS


Yesterday I participated in one of the most delightful conferences--The Business of Children's Publishing. John Warren Stewig from Carthage College in Kenosha, Wisconsin put together an interesting group of speakers including an editor, an agent, an art director, a publisher, a marketing director, and an illustrator. He also invited two booksellers, representing an independent and a chain. In two days, attendees got an overview of the publishing world. I learned a few things I hadn't known before. There are 10,000 children's books published a year. To me, that means there are lots of opportunities out there to get published and those that are published have to work hard to get their books to stand out.

Sometimes that sheer number makes my head swim. But I always remember the comment that my publisher Laura Godwin told me years ago. "Kimberly, when it gets down to it, all you have to do is write a good book."

The picture above is of the Milwaukee skyline at dusk. It's a striking city in a beautiful state.

My next stop is Dallas, Texas. I'll be visiting schools in the area and on Saturday, October 20 I participate in STARLIT. There are a host of authors and illustrators participating including Cynthia and Greg Leitich Smith, Laura Numeroff, Will Hillenbrand, and more.

If you live in the the Dallas area, I hope you will join in the fun. It's being held at St. Andrew United Methodist Church in Plano. The event begins at 10:00 am and ends at 2 pm. Hope to see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment