Friday, February 20, 2009

A POET AT HOME: HOPE ANITA SMITH


Where do you work best at home?

I work best in my small office. It is also my craft workspace so I have to really focus on first things first. Writing.



What time of day would we find you there?

I work best at night after everyone is in bed.

What is your favorite comfort food while you work at home?

My favorite comfort food while I work is sunflower seeds. I like them
lightly salted in the shell.

How does home feed into your writing?

I can write just about anywhere, but home seems to invite the muse in with open arms and words flow out of me like water.


Hope Anita Smith's first book, The Way A Door Closes, received several awards including the Coretta Scott King/John Steptoe New Talent Award and the Myra Cohn Livingston Award for Distinguished Work of Poetry. Her second book, Keeping the Night Watch received the Coretta Scott King Honor and was chosen as a Notable Book.

She is an avid knitter with a yarn stash that sometimes gives her pause and a wonderful baker. She is inclined to commit random acts of kindness. She lives in Beverly Hills, California. Hope's third book, Mother Poems, which she wrote and illustrated will be available this spring.

Visit Hope's website.



If you missed Kathi Appelt's An Author at Home profile, here's the link:

An Author at Home: Kathi Appelt

3 comments:

  1. Kimberly, thank you so much for sharing these authors with us - very inspiring and wonderful insight!
    xo,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim, thanks for the feedback. I love peeking into homes. That's why I love Dear Daisy Cottage so much. I can pretend that I'm your neighbor and your giving me a home tour.

    It's been fun for me learn about these artistic folks at home. I'm hoping to have one a week.

    Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a dream that I was reading one of Hope's books. I think I may need to take a trip to the bookstore...

    ReplyDelete