Thursday, May 7, 2009

A WRITER AT HOME: ERICA S. PERL


Where do you work best at home?

Usually at my desk, which is in a small office upstairs. We actually call that room "the drawing room," not because we're fancy or anything, but because my two kids love to go in there and draw pictures.


What time of day would we find you there?

I try to go running most...okay, some...days and when I get back I often go straight to my office and plunk myself down. I'm there usually from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. or later (though I take breaks to get food… and to take a shower!). I usually return to my office in the evenings and I often stay up way too late typing away.



What is your favorite comfort food while you work?


My favorite treat while I work is stale red licorice. The problem is, most red licorice is fresh, so you need to open the package and ignore it for a while. Unfortunately, I lack the patience to wait until it gets truly stale the way I like it. When I buy Twizzlers, I always squeeze all the packages to try and find the stalest one (usually at the back of the rack). I also enjoy finding convenience stores that don't turn their inventory over very often...stale candy jackpot!



How does home feed into your work?


All of my books have animals, and my office is filled with little animals (many of them chickens) that I love. They comfort, amuse and inspire me. And my favorite animal--my dog, Lucy--often sleeps under my desk or behind my chair.





Erica S. Perl is an award winning children's book author. Her first picture book, Chicken Bedtime is Really Early, received a starred review from Booklist and accolades from fans young and old. She followed this success with Ninety-Three In My Family, which received the Reuben Award and was a Book Sense Pick. Erica’s new picture book, Chicken Butt! is illustrated by Henry Cole and has been called "a laugh-out-loud, read-it-again delight for the whole family." Her first young adult novel, Vintage Veronica, which will be published in Spring, 2010 by Knopf. Erica also writes about children’s books and media for Slate, works as an editor-at-large at Abrams Books for Young Readers and teaches creative writing. Her website is www.ericaperl.com

Visit Erica's Website.



Did you miss last week's AT HOME profile with

Billy Kirsch?

No comments:

Post a Comment