Friday, November 14, 2008

WAS IT HER HAT?


Today is my last day visiting schools in Hays ISD. Located in the Texas Hill Country, the district is one of the fastest growing in the state. The students have been enthusiastic and interested in what I had to say about my writing journey. Judging by their questions, I'm sure there are some future published writers among them.

The Hays librarians spoiled me rotten by putting me up in The Inn Over Onion Creek. This is a writer's dream spot. Yesterday I ate my granola on the porch by the golden lantana spilling over the rock borders. While I watched the morning light spread beyond the hills, turkey buzzards flew back and forth in perfect sequence. And I lost count of the deer that I saw darting between the gnarled trees.

Hays in the childhood home of Katherine Anne Porter and I'm staying in the suite named in her honor. This week, I've read a few chapters in biographies shelved on the fireplace mantel. She was quite a character, not at all ashamed of her love of fine things. She even bought a huge emerald ring with part of her advance for Ship of Fools. And she liked hats. Which is why I tried on the one displayed inside the cedar trunk in my room. I doubt it belonged to her, but a girl can always pretend.

No comments:

Post a Comment