Monday, May 12, 2008

IT'S IN HERE SOMEWHERE


Until two years ago, this historical novel I'm working on, has been the manuscript that I've abandoned and returned to season after season. A while back as I drove to a coffee shop to write, some words came to me. They connected to the story, but the voice belonged to the grandson of the main character. At the coffee shop, I jotted the words down. Maybe the words were for a future story, but certainly not for this one. I didn't even consider that they might play a role in this book.

Now that I'm working on the rewrite, I keep thinking of that voice. Not the words, but the voice. Somehow, I believe that voice holds the key for something missing in this manuscript.

Last week, I searched and searched in my stacks of yellow pads. The words have to be in there somewhere, but I've not discovered them yet. I'll need to proceed without them. Then maybe if I work hard enough, the voice will return. This time, I won't turn it away like a guest who has arrived too early for a party. I'll welcome it and consider making it a permanent resident.




***STAY TUNED. TOMORROW I'LL ANNOUNCE THE MAY GIVE-AWAY***

No comments:

Post a Comment